Declaration of Mark Jones
I, Lieutenant Colonel Mark Jones, USMC (Ret) of Los Angeles, CA declare and say:
1. In or about 1971 I was approached by Arthur Maren who was the Assistant Guardian for Public Relations in the United States branch of the Guardian's Office of the Church of Scientology. Maren asked if I was willing to set up a Narconon office and establish programs under the direction of the Guardian Office. At this time, one Narconon program existed in the Arizona State Penitentiary and one was being established in the Cal. State Penitentiary at Vacaville by a member of the San Francisco Scientology Guardian Office. I agreed to do this and undertook to make Narconon an international drug rehabilitation agency on behalf of the Church of Scientology.
2. Throughout my period as director of Narconon, I reported to the Guardian's Office. Meetings were held at regular intervals at which the executives of the Guardian's Office determined the affairs of Narconon. All Narconon activities including the disposition of Narconon finances were approved by the Church of Scientology Assistant Guardian for Public Relations and the Assistant Guardian for Finance, Henning Heldt. From the time I became involved until I ultimately resigned, the Guardian Office controlled all directorships of Narconon, although Narconon was held out to be independent of the Church of Scientology.
3. In 1972 I received the Univ. of Southern Cal. Intrascience Award for my work as Director of Narconon.
4. In or about 1973, I was requested to travel to England by the Guardian's Office to assist the Deputy Guardian for Public Relations WW, David Gaiman for the Church of Scientology in recruiting and training personnel to help establish Narconon programs in Europe. I went to Europe and assisted in promoting and establishing programs in Europe.
5. Although it was publicly admitted that Narconon used the teachings of L. Ron Hubbard, and was sponsored by the Church of Scientology, it's true relationship - i.e. that it was wholly controlled by the Church of Scientology, was never publicly admitted.
I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct.
Executed this 10th day of February, 1995 in Los Angeles, Cal.